Butternut Squash Soup
Roasted Butternut Squash with Cranberries & Walnuts
Roasted Butternut Squash with Brown Sugar
Butternut Squash is healthy and delicious!
Our favorite is roasted or puréed into a soup. Here are a few recipes for you to try this fall.
Enjoy and keep it chic and carefree!
ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH WITH CRANBERRIES AND WALNUTS (serves 4-6)
- Pre heat the oven to 375
- Butternut Squash (about 2 pounds)
- Walnuts (1/2 cup chopped)
- Dried Cranberries (1/2 cup)
- 2 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- Olive Oil, Salt & Pepper
Peel, seed and cube the butternut squash. Place on baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper to taste. Toss to coat all the pieces and roast for about 30 minutes until the squash is fork tender. Bigger pieces may take longer.
In a sauté pan melt 1 Tbsp butter and add 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts and cook for two minutes. Remove from heat and toss in 1/2 cup dried cranberries and 2 Tbsp maple syrup.
Toss all all ingredients in a large bowl together…enjoy
ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH WITH THYME AND BROWN SUGAR (serves 4-6)
- Preheat Oven to 375.
- Butternut Squash (one large one cut into strips…you could also used cubed squash if easier to work with)
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 8 Thyme Sprigs
- Olive Oil, Salt & Pepper
Slice butternut squash down the center and seed. Place in a baking dish. Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper to taste. Take the thyme sprigs and remove the leaves onto the squash, leave some whole sprigs because it looks so pretty. Sprinkle brown sugar over the squash and roast for about 45 minutes or until squash is fork tender.
ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP (serves 4-6)
- 4 cups Butternut Squash cubed
- 1 cup diced Onion
- 3/4 Cups diced carrots
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 4 cups chicken stock (can use vegetarian stock if you are vegetarian…some flavor will be lost)
- Parsley for garnish
- optional marscarpone cheese
In a large soup pot heat 1 Tbsp olive oil. Add diced butternut squash, carrots, celery & onion. Toss to coat in the oil and cook until onions start to turn clear. Season with salt and pepper. Add 4 cups chicken stock and on a medium low heat, cook down until all the vegetables are tender enough to purée about 45 minutes. With an emulsion blender puree the soup. If you like a thicker soup use less stock. Serve with a garnish of parsley and/or serve with a dollop of marscapone cheese if you want something creamy.
The Perfect Cheese Plate with our favorite Chardonnay (Grgich Hills Estate)
Lobster always delicious with Chardonnay
Zucchini wrapped with Prosciutto & Parmesan Cheese
Baked Potato Bites
On a recent trip to Cape Cod we prepared a meal around a delicious bottle of Chardonnay…Pick your favorite bottle & enjoy! we love Grgich Hills Estate Chardonnay (from Napa Valley).
Cheese that Pairs well with White Wine….
- A “Fresh Cheese” such as Goat Cheese
- A “Funky or Smelly Cheese” such a Blue Cheese
- A “Creamy Cheese” such as Brie, St. Andre or Tallegio
- Meat…add at least one …Prosciutto, Sausage or Salami
- Fruit, fresh fruit or dried fruit (both work) lets face it no one seems to eat it but it looks pretty
- Nuts, we love Marcona Almonds from Spain
Lobster…you can buy them already steamed but if you want to do it yourself read below
Lobster is great with potatoes (baked or boiled) & vegetables (corn is usually served but asparagus, zucchini or a nice salad is also delicious).
- Choose a pot that is large enough for them (you don’t want to crowd them)
- Bring 2 inches of salted water to a rapid boil in a pot with a steaming basket
- Place Lobsters into pot & cover
- Shake or Stir the Lobsters occasionally
- a 2 pound Lobster should be ready in roughly 15-18 minutes, a 3/4-1 pound lobster in 10 minutes (the shell should be bright red)
- Remove Lobsters and set aside for a few minutes to cool before cracking them
- Serve with melted butter (don’t skimp on the butter it’s my favorite part)
Baked Potato Bites (from Cookthestory.com) serves 6-8
- Preheat oven to 450
- 9-10 small yellow Potatoes, cut in half
- 2 tsp olive oil, salt and pepper
- 1 slice of Bacon
- 6 spears of Asparagus (trimmed)
- 4 1/2 tsp sour cream
- mix Potatoes with 1tsp olive oil & place in baking dish cut side up ( cooks in 15-20 minutes)
- place 1 slice of bacon in pan to cook at same time (a thin slice of bacon should cook faster then potatoes- take out when crisp, roughly 10 minutes)
- Asparagus, mix with remaining Olive oil salt & pepper & place in pan should cook in 4-7 minutes
- You can cook everything in the same dish and take out items as ready
- let everything cool (these can be served at room temperature)
- place Sour Cream on Potato, then chopped Bacon, then Asparagus & enjoy
- If you prefer to serve these straight out of the oven substitute sour cream for cheese (your choice but cheddar is always good and comes shredded)
Zucchini wrapped with Prosciutto & Parmigiano-Reggiano Cheese (serves 6-8)
- 4 Zucchini-sliced length wise
- 1/2 pound Prosciutto (We use San Danielle but any type can be used)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Olive oil, salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 400
- In fry pan saute zucchini with olive oil until tender (about 6 minutes) remove & let it cool enough so you can touch it
- Wrap Prosciutto around Zucchini & place in baking dish
- Sprinkle Zucchini with Cheese, salt & pepper
- bake for 10-15 minutes, serve warm
Grilled Vegetables with Dipping Sauce
Grilled Corn on the Cob
Grilled Corn with Deliciuos Toppings
Recipes: Serves @ 6 (we suggest fresh herbs but if you are feeling lazy or tight on time hit your spice rack)
Grilled Corn Toppings! (you can cook the corn in a pot as usual if you don’t want to grill it and STILL use these delicious toppings!
To Grill corn leave on BBQ medium to high heat for about 15 minutes until tender.
- Truffle Oil, Garlic and Parmesan Corn:
- Combine 2 garlic cloves (grated or finely chopped)
- 2 table spoons olive oil
- 1 table spoon lemon juice
- Combine the above in a bowl and baste corn the last 15 minutes of grilling. (if not grilling pour on corn when cooked)
- 3 table spoons white truffle oil
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) Parmigiano-Reggiano Cheese
- When corn is ready sprinkle with Truffle oil and cheese and enjoy
- Classic Herbed Butter Corn
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped sage
- 1/4 teasppon sea salt or kosher salt
- combine the above in bowl and pour over corn when finished cooking.
- Barbecue Glazed Corn
- 1/4 cup BBQ sauce
- 3 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt or kosher salt
- combine in bowl and baste corn the last 3 minutes of grilling (or pour over corn when finished)
- Grilled Mixed Vegetables-Veggies even the guys will like!
- 3 Red Bell Peppers-seeded and halved (cooks in 8-10 minutes)
- 3 Yellow or Green Squash-sliced length wise (cooks in 8-10 minutes)
- 3 Eggplant sliced length wise (cooks in 8-10 minutes)
- 12 Cremini Mushrooms (cooks in 8-10 minutes)
- 1 Bunch Asparagus (cooks in 4 minutes)
- 12 Green Onions (cooks in 4 minutes)
- Brush the Veggies with 1/4 cup Olive Oil and salt/Pepper to taste before grilling
- The vegetables taste great as is but if you want to add a dressing here are some good ones below!
Dressing (pour on after Vegetables are grilled)
- 3 Tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 Garlic Cloves Minced
- 1 Teaspoon Parsley Finely Chopped
- 1 Teaspoon Basil Finely Chopped
- 1/2 Teaspoon Rosemary Finely Chopped
Easier Dressing Options:
- Use your favorite store bought dressing (place in a pretty bowl or dispenser)
- Tzaziki Yogurt Dip (store bought placed in a bowl)
- Pesto sauce or Olive Dip (store bought placed in a bowl)