Chicken Marbella is a simple yet delicious recipe that is easy to prepare. It can be made ahead of time so it is great to serve when guests are over. This goes well with fettuccine alfredo, cous cous, rice, potatoes…or a salad.
This is Betsy’s version…. (serves 6-8)
- 6-8 pounds chicken (I use the thick chicken breasts cut in half) but this can be made with chicken thighs, legs etc…
- 12 oz bite size Pitted Prunes (if they are large cut them in half)
- 3.5 ounce jar of capers (drain the liquid before adding it)
- .5 ounce bottle of oregano (I only had 1/2 bottle and it worked)
- 6 bay leafs (can use more for decoration)
- 1 garlic bulb minced (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1 cup stuffed Pimento Olives (drain before adding)
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup dry white wine (cooking wine is ok to use)
- 1/4 cup parsley (optional)
- 1 table spoon sea salt or kosher salt
- 2 table spoon pepper
Combine all (except brown sugar, white wine and parsley) in a baking dish and marinade for 8 hours or overnight. Before baking add the white wine, brown sugar and parsley. I had to use 2 baking dishes and I added more red wine, olive oil, white wine and sugar as it did not look as juicy as my moms. I doubled the amount of each…(make sure to add equal amounts to balance the flavor. So 1 cup oil to 1 cup red wine vinegar etc…)
Bring to room temperature and bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes or until chicken is done… enjoy!
Tomato & Kale
Black Bean, Corn & Avocado in Cilantro Lime Vinaigrette
Alexandra’s Simple Summer Salad
EASY SUMMER SALADS
These are all delicious served alone or as a side to chicken, fish or meat
Alexandra’s Summer Salad
- 2 cups Romaine
- 1 tomato, diced
- 3/4 cups grapes, halved
- 1/2 an avocado, diced
- light vinaigrette of 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, 2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar, salt and pepper to taste
Mediterranean Orzo Salad
- 1 box orzo, cooked and drained
- 3/4 cups red onion, finely diced
- 1 cup pitted Kalamata olives, chopped
- 1/2 capers drained
- 2 cups grape tomatoes halved
- 1 cup crumbled feta
- 1/2 basil, chiffonade
- Balsamic Vinaigrette : 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar, 2 Tbsp Dijon mustard, 1 1/4cup extra virgi olive oil, salt and pepper to taste
- Cook and drain the orzo. Toss the orzo in the vinaigrette and set aside to cool for about 15 minutes while you chop the olives and tomatoes. Then add all the ingredients and toss together.
Tomato and Kale Salad
- 2 large ripe tomatoes cut into wedges
- 1 yellow pepper, thinly sliced
- 3 cups kale, chiffonade. We like baby kale because it is a little less bitter
- 2 cups chick peas
- 1 cup cucumber, diced
- 1/2 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- Red wine vinaigrette : 1/4 cup red wine vinegar, 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard, 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper to taste
- Toss all the ingredients together in the red wine vinaigrette
Black Bean and Corn Salad in Cilantro Lime Vinaigrette
- 3 ears of corn, cooked and taken off the cob, about 1 1/2 cups. If you are feeling lazy use 1 can of drained canned corn
- 1 1/2 cups black beans
- 2 Red Bell Peppers diced
- 1 shallot diced
- 1 cup cilantro chopped
- mix all of these ingredients together. Then toss in the juice of 3 limes, 1/2 cup olive oil, salt and pepper to taste, and optional 1/4 teaspoon chili powder for some heat
- lastly add 1 avocado diced (always toss avocado in last so it doesn’t get really mushy)
WATERMELON is one our favorite Summer treats!
It is outstanding with Feta, pureed into a yummy frozen drink and delightfully refreshing in a salad. It is also perfect to slice up, seal in a plastic container, put it in the cooler and take to the beach for a refreshing snack!
Watermelon and Blueberry Salad
- 1 Tbsp Honey
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh mint
- 1 cup seedless watermelon, cubed
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1 cup arugula
- Toss watermelon and blueberries in the honey and lemon juice. Pour over the arugula. Top with chopped mint.
Watermelon and Goat Cheese Discs – Rum is optional
- Cut a seedless watermelon into small round disks about a half inch thick
- Using a metal round disc/cookie cutter/jigger (shot glass/alcohol measurer) makes cutting the disks very easy
- RUM IS OPTIONAL – If you are keeping it safe for the little ones – skip this step – Pour rum (I used Captain Morgan) into a shallow dish with sides to hold the liquid, about 1 cup. Place watermelon in the rum and set in the frig for 30 minutes, flipping watermelon half way through so both sides soak. Remove watermelon from the rum
- Top with goat cheese disk/mound that you press with your finger to make a disk (cold wet hands help)
- Drizzle with balsamic drizzle
- Top with chopped fresh mint
- Refrigerate until ready to enjoy
Watermelon and Feta Skewers
- cube seedless watermelon and feta into same size cubes
- top with basil
- stick a toothpick in it
- Puree 1 1/2 cups seedless watermelon, 1 cup tequila, 1/2 cup fresh lime juice, 1/2 cup orange liquor or triple sec, 1 Tbsp agave or simple syrup, and 3 cups ice in a blender
- Pour into 4 glasses and garnish with slice of watermelon and lime wedge
- Optional salted rim
Watermelon, Kiwi, Feta (Rubik’s Cube)
- Cut Watermelon, Kiwi and Feta into squares
- Place 9 squares on bottom (any order you like, but mix it up)
- Do 2 more layers of this on top so you have 3 layers all together
- If it is not staying in place you can stick a toothpick through it on one side to keep the shape
- Garnish with mint or basil (optional)
- Drizzle with Olive Oil (optional)
Welcome to Chic and Carefree Lifestyle!
Our mission is very simple, we want to help you live a more chic and carefree life!
We will share our tips on all aspects of home, health, fashion, decor, food, entertaining, well being and inner peace, so you can enjoy all the things life has to offer. Each week we will send you tips on different topics keeping it stress free and budget friendly.
Where will we come up with these fabulous solutions? We will pull from our own experiences and from others. We will edit the best ideas we find so you don’t have to. Who has time to read every magazine, blog, post, pin, tweet, etc? We will do it for you and send out the best tips, ideas and solutions.
If you have any ideas to share, we would love to hear from you. If you want to receive our emails please sign up on this blog. Follow us on Twitter @chicandcarefree, Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook.
Until next time be as chic and carefree as possible.
Alison & Lauren
Sisters who keep it “Chic and Carefree”