Cap’N Crunch & Corn Flakes mixed together sounds odd but tastes great!
Ingredients for the dipping sauce
Delicious alone or with the dipping sauce
Where it all began…the first taste of the amazing chicken finger!
I discovered these in Cancun on Spring Break. My friend Dawn and I stayed across the street from a Planet Hollywood and had dinner there the first night. The waitress said we should try these and we were hooked. They are DELICIOUS! I hope you enjoy them! The recipe below is not exact to what they serve, I am sure they fry them, these are baked, and I am sure they use a lot of other ingredients but these are still tasty.
Recipe for the chicken fingers…serves 2-4 (pan fry then bake)
- Chicken Cutlet tenders (1 packet is good for 2-4 people)
- 2 cups Cap’N Crunch
- 1.5 cups Corn Flakes
- 1 cup milk
- 1-2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- dash of pepper
Heat oven to 325 degrees…
Mix together the Captain Crunch and the Corn Flakes in a mixer until crushed (like bread crumbs) add in the onion powder, garlic powder and pepper-put all this in 1 dish. Combine the egg and milk and put in another dish. Dip the chicken in the egg/milk mixture then coat in the cereal mixture.
Heat olive oil in a fry pan (just enough to coat the pan and make the chicken a bit brown on the outside) place chicken in pan and heat on each side for roughly 1 minute until the coating is a bit brown. Then transfer to a baking dish and bake for 15-20 minutes or until done.
Dipping Sauce: mix the below together and use as a dip…I played around with the ingredients, the below is not too strong or too mayonnaise tasting. I suggest tasting it as you go along and find what you like best.
These would also be good in a ranch or honey mustard dip or with no sauce
- 6 Tablespoons Dijon Mustard
- 9 Tablespoons Mayonnaise
- 3 Teaspoon creamy style horseradish
- 3 Teaspoon honey
- 3 Teaspoon Yellow Mustard
- I like to add a dash of hot sauce
Basil Pesto…Delicious on almost everything!
Strawberry & Basil Margarita
Tomato & Basil Chicken
Basil & Tomato Chicken…serves 4-6, prep time 15 minutes, cook time 15 minutes
- 1 1/2 lbs skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 6 fillets
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 lb cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tbsp dried oregano…Salt and pepper to taste
- Grease a medium sized non-stick skillet with cooking spray or olive oil and set over medium high heat
- Season both sides of chicken with salt, pepper & oregano and cook about 3-4 minutes on each side, or until chicken is almost entirely cooked through
- Turn the heat down to medium & add the tomatoes and garlic. Cook for about 4-5 minutes
- Add basil & butter, and stir until combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste
- Turn heat to low and let sit for about 5 more minutes
Basil Hummus Prep time: 15 minutes ,Cook time: 5 minutes, Makes about 3 cups
- 2 cups sweet basil leaves, packed
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed then minced
- 2 15-ounce cans chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Up to 1/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1/4 cup pine nuts optional
- Place the basil and the garlic in a food processor. Pulse until finely chopped.
- Add the garbanzo beans, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, tomato paste, and pulse until the hummus is smooth
- If using pine nuts heat in a pan with olive oil until brown & mix into hummus save a few for the topping
- Add more salt or lemon juice to taste. Add water to the point of desired consistency.
- To serve, place in a bowl and drizzle a little olive oil over it.
- Serve with pita wedges, crackers, or rustic bread.
Strawberry Basil Margarita… makes 1 pitcher/8 servings recipe from thekitchn.com
- 10 strawberries
- 8 basil leaves
- 1 can (12 ounces) frozen limeade concentrate
- 2 to 2 1/2 cups tequila (gold or silver)
- Empty the limeade concentrate into a pitcher. Add 2 1/2 cups of water & 2 1/2 cups of tequila mix together
- Slice the strawberries lengthwise, and add to the pitcher.
- Cut the basil into small pcs and add to the pitcher
- Place the pitcher, covered, in the fridge overnight, or for at least four hours
Easy Basil Pesto (1 cup)
Pesto is delicious as a topping for bruschetta, pasta, shrimp, chicken, steak, vegetables & in sandwiches
- 2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Pecorino cheese
- 1/4 cup pine nuts (optional) walnuts can also be used
- Combine the basil, garlic, and pine nuts in a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped.
- Add the oil and mix until smooth
- Mix in the cheese
- Season with salt & pepper